Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Chris and Me

I'm officially a vagrant.  

I packed up all my things, loaded them into my jeep, which I've renamed (Al who "donated" the vehicle called him Bloodlust).  His given name is Christopher Johnson McCandless, aka Alexander Supertramp.  The problem is that Chris doesn't run at all- not even a little bit.  Al Rosales and Erika Kuta helped push it about a quarter of a mile, before Tolo, Christian, and Micah gave us a tow.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  Now I guess I don't have to worry that Chris will get boosted, I just hope no one steals all my crap.  

Actually, it might be really helpful if someone stole a good portion of my crap.  I have an uncanny ability to collect junk.  Currently the jeep if filled to the gills with two suitcases of clothes, a bookshelf plus two boxes of books, an acoustic and an electric guitar, my bagpipe chanter, and various shit.  I've already thrown away at least half of my stuff, but I need to half it again.  Anybody want a little TV- for you, I give a special price...

On a completely different note- Bremen McKinney told me about an incredible idea last night.  He wants to form a group that would operate essentially as a students' union.  Bremen said he wants to "pull a Berkeley on 'em."  So many things have happened that illustrate the need to product students' rights; attempted censoring in the student newspaper, rock music groups being banned from campus, and by far the worse; the school and security ignoring sexual assault charges.  
 
The problem is twofold; many LDS students feel like they're being disobedient to their religion when/if they stand up to authorities at the university, and let's face it; students are not the activist they were in 1964.  

Let me remind any of the faint hearted or unsure: we have a responsibility to act according to the dictates of our own conscious and that particularly the LDS religion was founded upon a very intense real history of questioning and rejecting established wrongs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment